Useful Vietnamese phrase
Tourists coming to Vietnam might find the language of this country very interesting or rather strange in term of pronunciation, provincial accent, and spelling. The reason might lie inside a comprehensive system of carets that make works with the same spelling varying with different pronunciation, not to mention meanings. In order to make your trip to Halong specifically, and Vietnam in general become more exciting, this article will show you some basic tourism phrases and vocabulary. Pronunciations can vary significantly within Vietnam, especially northern vs. southern. there are 3 dialects north, central and south. Age of the person you talking too in relation you is important to note in vietnam, a complex system of words is used to addres people. however sticking to general word like 'xin' and 'ban' will help you avoid that.
1. Essential Vietnamese phrase to use in Halong:
• Xin chào (sin chow): Hello or Hi
• Cảm ơn (calm on,): Thank you
• Không (kh-o-ng, ng like in sing): No, Thanks!
• Bao nhiêu tiền (bow nieu tien): How much is this?
• Đắt quá (dut kwa, dut like in Dutch): Too expensive!
• Tôi nghỉ tại (toi ng-i tie): My hotel address is…
• Tôi muốn (toi mow-on): I want to have…
• Đẹp quá (dep kwa, depth without th): So beautiful!
• Bạn khỏe không? (barn kh-o-air kh-o-ng): How are you?
• Bạn tốt quá! (barn tot kwa): It’s nice of you
• Không sao (kh-o-ng sow): No problem or It’s ok.
• Bạn chỉ đường giúp (ban chi dwong jup): Can you show me the way to…?
• Tôi muốn xem (toi mow-on x-em, em in embark): I want to see…
• Tôi muốn đi (toi mow-on dee): I want to go to…
• Không mua (kh-o-ng m-our, our in tour): I don’t want to buy it.
• Tôi hút thuốc nhé (toi hoot thwoc ne): Can I smoke here?
• Em ơi (iem oi): Hey buddy! I’m calling you!, Hey missy! (friendly tongue)
• Tôi không biết bơi (toi kh-o-ng bet boi): I don’t know how to swim
• Cứu tôi với (kyu toyvoy): Somebody help me!
• Ôi dời ơi (oi zoi oi): Oh My God!
• Ngon quá (ng-on kwa): It’s so tasty!
• Nguy hiểm quá (nuy him kwa): It’s too dangerous!